Sunday, December 15, 2013

Recipe Time: Plantain Chips


Costco was out of bananas, so my husband got plantains, not realizing that they're not really the same thing. 

Tonight was the first of many experimental cooking sessions as I have a massive bag of plantains and I've only ever had them fried (and hated them).

Ingredients:
2 plantains that are slightly yellow
Extra virgin olive oil to taste
Ground sea salt to taste

Tools:
Parchment paper
Mandolins slicer
Peeler
Misto olive oil sprayer

1. Cut off the ends of the plantains and peel them until they look like yellow squash. If they look like corn husks, peel more. 

2. I used my mandoline slicer to cut 1/4 inch slices. Don't. Cut them as thinly as possible. When I do this again, I'll use 1/8 inch on the slicer. 

3. I only sprayed one side of the plantains with olive oil before adding a little bit of sea salt. You can toss the slices with olive oil and salt. This would extend the cooking time. 

4. Spread in a single layer on parchment paper. The edges can touch, but they have to lay flat. 

5. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Flip halfway through and adjust cooking time accordingly. You want them to look white, not gummy. If they're gummy, they just taste like potatoes. 

Enjoy,

Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment