Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Snowballs! Russian Tea Cakes! Whatever they are!



Let me start by saying that I hate really long blog posts before recipes. So here's the recipe first:

Snowballs
8 oz (2 sticks) butter
4 tbsp powdered sugar
Powdered sugar for rolling
2 cups flour
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups chopped pecans.

  1. Cream the butter, sugar, and vanilla.
  2. Mix in the nuts and flour slow.
  3. Roll into balls.
  4. Bake 15-16 minutes at 325 degrees.
  5. Allow to cool almost completely.
  6. Roll in powdered sugar twice.
That's all there is to it. Well, you will make a mess.

And they will look like ugly little mounds before you coat them in powdered sugar.

But they are absolutely delicious.

As for the story of Su, I have no idea. I grew up calling these treats "Snowballs." My mom made them every year for Christmastime and sometimes around Thanksgiving. As an adult, I finally asked for the recipe and she gave me this:
I don't know who Su is, but she is very particular (and parenthetical) in her recipe.

Thanks Su, whoever you are. Your recipe is very simple and delicious.

Chow/Ciao,

Christine


No comments:

Post a Comment